magnetic car ribbony things
What do you guys think of those magnetic car ribbony things that are all the fad right now?
Personally, I think it's a bit much. There seem to be ones for everything...though maybe not, I guess I'm just thinking of soldier ones and breast cancer ones. Though it annoys me that some people turn them on their sides to make them Jesus-fish. Come on, people, if you want the Jesus-fish, just fork over the money for one. I think the ribbony things are a bandwagon thing and it's annoying to see them practically everywhere.
My car is proud to be ribbony thing-free :-)
Personally, I think it's a bit much. There seem to be ones for everything...though maybe not, I guess I'm just thinking of soldier ones and breast cancer ones. Though it annoys me that some people turn them on their sides to make them Jesus-fish. Come on, people, if you want the Jesus-fish, just fork over the money for one. I think the ribbony things are a bandwagon thing and it's annoying to see them practically everywhere.
My car is proud to be ribbony thing-free :-)

10 Comments:
this is what i'm talking about, btw, in case some ppl don't know:
http://tinyurl.com/472rv
By
kim, at 3/22/2005 12:52 AM
Where does the money from the sales of them go? I can't see anything on that site about donating it to charity unless I missed something.
In any case, wasting money on a product that will end up in a landfill which could be better spent being donated direct to the cause you apparently want to support seems a far better thing to do.
If any companies are profiting from such magnets, and I'm sure someone is somewhere, then that's a pretty sorry state of affairs.
I don't think having a magnet on your car will persuade many people to give to that cause, and I doubt they really care about you and your apparent cause. It's probably a feel good thing - if they show their support by way of a sticker, maybe they feel they've done enough and can sit back and relax.
Luckily you very rarely see any kind of sticker or magnet on cars over here. The latest craze is coloured wristbands that show your support - I believe at least some of the revenue is given to help the actual cause, but I'm sure it's not the amount you spent on it.
By
emiiko, at 3/22/2005 4:55 AM
I've seen them and I think they are a little tacky, but I guess these people could be doing worse things. I always thought they were sideways because they didnt fit upright on the car somehow. I'll have to look closer next time I see one to see if it seems intentional.
Oh..and on the wrist bands... i think those seem to be popular among teenagers and such. At least that is where I see them. They are usually the yellow Lance Armstrong ones.
I have a couple of stickers on my car...A HSU Alumni stciker and a mexico sticker my dad put on it. They are on my window and you cant really see them that well. I've thought about putting (political) signs in my windows while my van is parked at school or at home. However, I don't want people vandalizing my car if they doint agree with my message.
By
sonia, at 3/22/2005 12:24 PM
Yeah, the wristbands are a bit overboard now too. They seem to have arrived with the ribbony things.
As for my car, it has a radio station sticker on there (one I like and don't mind plugging), a Dave Matthews Band sticker, and a Darwin fish. I think it's just enough where it's not like I'm burying my car with stickers and crap, but enough so that I could recognize my car if one just like it parked right next to it ;-)
By
kim, at 3/22/2005 10:54 PM
The Darwin fish is just too awesome. If I lived in the states I'd consider getting one, but Canada seems to be secular enough not to have to make noise about it.
By
William P, at 3/23/2005 8:37 AM
I'd have one if they had them over here.
By
yam, at 3/23/2005 9:42 AM
seems to me that the likelyhood of a vehicle having one is proportional to the size of the vehicle and how much gas it uses. I see them on trucks all the time but rarely on cars.
By
Jamison, at 3/23/2005 1:30 PM
william/yam - I love my Darwin fish. I had an extra one (bc somehow where I work had told me a friend of his had his Darwin fish ripped off his car), but it turns out I didn't have to use it. But I have since given the extra away. You can get them at www.darwinfish.com along with other options (some a bit over the top, if I do say so myself).
krixfye-interesting...I do seem to recall a proponderance of minivans with the ribbons...
By
kim, at 3/23/2005 10:22 PM
yeah, "somehow" above should be "someone." my poor brain :-\
By
kim, at 3/23/2005 10:22 PM
I have a Darwin fish. Now if I had a car...
By
Sheik Yerbouti, at 3/24/2005 2:38 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home